Shiraz Pharmacy is one of only a few local pharmacies which offers on-site compounding. Backed with advanced technology and a complete inventory of chemicals and formulas, Shiraz Pharmacy pharmacists can compound practically any medication. Click on the titles below to learn more about compounding.
What is Compounding?
Compounding combines an ageless art with the latest medical knowledge and state-of-the-art technology, allowing specially trained professionals to prepare customized medications to meet each patient’s specific needs.
Compounding is fundamental to the profession of pharmacy and was a standard means of providing prescription medications before drugs began to be produced in mass quantities by pharmaceutical manufacturers.
The demand for professional compounding has increased as healthcare professionals and patients realize that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available do not meet the needs of many patients, and that these patients often have a better response to a customized dosage form that is "just what the doctor ordered."
Who can benefit from Compounding?
- Patients who require different than normal doses, such as infants, children and pets
- Patients who require a different dosage form, such as turning pills into liquid or transdermal cream
- Patients who may be allergic to an inactive ingredient in their medication, such as gluten or dye
- Patients who need discontinued drugs
- Patients who are taking bioidentical hormone replacement therapy
- Patients who want a flavor added to medication to make it easier to take, such as children and pets
- Veterinarians who want to change dosage, forms or flavor
what we can prepare
- Unique dosage forms containing the best dose of medication for each individual
- Medications in dosage forms that are not commercially available, such as transdermal gels, troches, "chewies", and lollipops
- Medications free of problem-causing excipients such as dyes, sugar, lactose, or alcohol
- Combinations of various compatible medications into a single dosage form for easier administration and improved compliance
- Medications that are not commercially available
Click here to read the latest PubMed articles on the compounding.
Want to learn more about what Shiraz Pharmacy will do for you? Contact us for a complimentary consultation!